Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Guess I really need to get in shape and start biking

 I love walking, my little way of ensuring that I have calorie expenditure, to make up for the yummy food I eat everyday. In a book by Naomi Moriyama entitled Japanese Women Don't Get Fat or Old, it was written that aside from eating healthy, Japanese women walk walk walk walk...at least 10,000 steps a day. On a not so sunny afternoon, whenever I have the chance to go home early (which do not happen very often) I walk.. approximately for an hour on my way home. I take a jeepney ride after, tired and sweaty, but feeling very fit and accomplished. Smog and smoke aside, I feel I am doing myself a favor by trying to be healthy. 

Two weeks ago, a friend of mine has started to ride his bike off road. Which got me turning green with envy. I want to bike too... more so  now. when there are no longer any options to take for me to be able to get somewhere.
  • Take a cab? I think that is a thing of the past for me, after the fare increase without any salary hike. If I take a cab everyday to work, I might as well just quit my job because all that my company will be giving me as compensation will directly go to the taxi-driving community.
  • Drive my own car? I don't drive, but even if I do, I wouldn't dare. After a couple of car nap victims missing for a few days and being found burnt beyond recognition? I wouldn't want to be the next one, I can wait for summer to get a better tan.
  • take a bus ride?Maybe not after hearing the news about a passenger bus exploding in the middle of EDSA earlier this afternoon! Leaving 4 people dead and 14 injured.
I think I am left with just 2 options, to bike or to walk. 
    
I really do hope the government does something about this, and not just be contented with reminding the public to be vigilant and be careful. I don't need to be reminded to take care, it is inherent, basic survival. But how the hell would I protect my self from exploding buses?
  
Just a thought. I am so open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment