Friday, August 23, 2013

this is where your taxes go



I have always considered myself "taong deadma" when it comes to politics, never been very vocal about how I feel about corruption and politics, until the subject of pork barrel started to flood my Facebook wall. I guess it is true that ignorance is bliss… because after being made brutally aware of how a certain number of people have  misused and is continuously misusing their funds, i can't help but feel annoyed, a little more every time i get an update on how this organized theft works.

I am not totally naive, of course i am aware that politics is corruption-laiden, but to what extent, I never really had an idea, never knew it was already ninja level graft and corruption,  not until I got the chance to hear and learn about what Benhur Luy has to say.

It started when I took time to read a very interesting post i saw at dulzspeaks.blogspot.com  (quite a lengthy one). Took 30 minutes of my 40-minute jeepney ride to finish reading it. It sent shivers down my spine, I alighted the jeepney with mixed emotions, i felt mad, annoyed, cheated… robbed is a better word, i pitied myself. I really do not mind taking a jeepney ride home, but after reading it, can't help but try to compute and realized that if I was to refund all the tax that was deducted from me since I started working right after I finished college, I could possibly be able to afford a car, maybe not a Porsche Cayenne but something wage-appropriate for me… sure I may not always act my age, but I do act my wage.

So from then on, I tried to keep myself updated, and not help but feel sorry for myself. I am sorry if it will seem like I am bullying the model-designer baby of Janet Napoles, I just want to bash, I just want to vent! 


the caption says it all!

Okay so maybe I am jealous, maybe because I also want to live as luxuriously as her and be able have my tiny foot experience what it is like to be in a pair of Christian Loubuotin (did I spell it right?) shoes. Maybe I also want to rub elbows with the rich and famous of Hollywood, and be able to throw a lavish party in Beverly Hills. Maybe even my chubby little body will look good in a little pink dress that costs as much as, if not more than the annual salary of a minimum wage earner. Maybe I will not be late for any of my appointments if I use a  watch that costs a million pesos. 

But I know that even if I work my pretty little ass off until I retire I will never be able to afford it… and that is what pisses me the most… her living the way I can only dream of and the knowledge that she can do so by using the taxes that the government deducts from me and from every other working Pinoy.

I am willing to pay taxes, it is my responsibility. I just hope that the next time I look at my payslip, I will not feel bad about giving a part of my salary to the government knowing that my hard-earned money goes to where it should… not to a social-climbing, malnourished-looking, striving fashion designer who takes pride in following celebrities. And by the way, I am no fashion guru, I am actually a self-confessed baduy, but that so-so collection you had paraded at that catwalk thingy you had at your "legalized" party is not something that shouts haute couture. It looks like something I could buy off the rack at a department store but wouldn't. 

There… I feel better…  at least for the time being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment