Monday, December 27, 2010

The airport dwellers should know better

     I have thought that I will be a failure at my mission to travel somewhere at least once a year for 2010. Luckily, I was chosen to be sent to Japan for a week. Free airfare, free hotel accomodation plus allowance, and all I needed to do was be smart enough to absorb the stuff that will be taught and cascade the information to my staff in Manila. Japan, in December...WINTER! I enjoy winter fashion, first because it's something I don't get to experience often, and second, I can hide all my flabby-fatty self under thick winter clothes! 

     My itinerary - Manila - Hongkong-Haneda ( since the training will be held in Narita, I was to take a shuttle to get to Narita) Manila Hongkong was booked on the 11:05am flight of Cathay Pacific. I was in the airport, which also happens to be where my office is as early as 8:00am. Was I that excited? Not really. I just received a notice that I needed to make minor adjustments to the staff roster before I leave. So I had to work before my flight.  I was traveling with 2 companions, Sir Eric who is our training manager and Sir Jovy who is also a supervisor and they were also at the airport that early as they too had a few last minute work to do. I finished around 9:30am. Sir Eric had our allowances and tickets and suggested that we all check-in at the same time. We checked in at around 10:00am. Not very impressive for a group of airport dwellers. All passengers are advised that check-in counters open 3 hours before departure for a reason...so that stress can be avoided. Check in, travel tax payment, airport tax payment, immigration clearance, body check... breezed through it all in 30 minutes, not for the faint-hearted...and definitely not for those who do not have an all access pass to the whole terminal. Arrived the boarding gate only to find out that our turnaround aircraft has just arrived. It doesn't take a genius to know that this flight will be delayed. Had a few minutes to catch our breath at the holding area while waiting for our flight to board. There was no announcement made for the delay. I just estimated that our flight will depart 40 minutes behind schedule. All on board... doors closed...seatbelt fastened....
My inflight experience up next!

 
 

1 comment:

  1. i hate traveling during winter mainly because i have little patience of getting around with heavy loads of bag due to the "winter fashioned clothes". i travel with just one carry-on bag anywhere i go no matter how long i'll be staying there. i hate checking in my luggage because there was this one time, when i was still working at the airport that one of my colleagues tagged a bag to a wrong destination... i don't want that to happen to mine. hehehe.

    and yes, you are always "pasaway" if it's your turn to be the customer in your line of expertise. i don't know why, maybe human nature??? hahaha.

    ReplyDelete