Saturday, October 20, 2012

US Visa Application - Part 2: Honesty is the Best Policy

The first step to getting a non-immigrant US visa is to go to this website:


click on the 1st option and you will be directed to this page:


Scroll down and select the location where you are and click START AN APPLICATION. You will then see this:


Take note of your application ID , print it if you can. I personally just wrote it down. Scroll down to choose a security question you want to answer and click CONTINUE.
will then be directed to this page:


It took me roughly 40 minutes to completely answer this all the way to the security background questions. As you can see, details about your passport, travel and US contact will be asked. I had the following ready:

  • my passport
  • my SSS ID card 
  • the name, address and contact details of the person I will be visiting
  • if somebody else will pay for your travel expenses, the name, address and contact details of the one sponsoring your trip should also be ready.
  • information about my work
TAKE A TIP:
  • Read carefully and answer each questions as honestly and accurately as possible.
  • I found the right sidebar helpful too.
  • Don't leave any questions unanswered and tick the DOES NOT APPLY button if the question is not applicable.
  • You can leave an item blank if you see *OPTIONAL 
If at any part you failed to complete a needed data, you will not be allowed to proceed to the next page and will be alerted.

A box with letters written in red will show you which items you failed to answer, a corresponding red arrow will point to the items that needs to be answered. 

The security and background part is answerable by yes or no.  Read everything carefully. After completing all the security questions, you will be asked to upload a photo.

My cousin Ken was kind enough to take my photo and upload it. Please make sure that the photo you will upload satisfies the photo requirements. Click here to see the requirements set for visa photo. Please note too that should your visa be approved, the photo that you uploaded will be the one that will be attached to your visa. My cousin Ken took a couple of shots before we were able to find a suitable one to upload. 
While I was having my photo taken, Ken reminded me to:
  • Remove my eyeglasses 
  • Not to tilt my head 
  • not to show my teeth when I smile
After the photo was uploaded and has been approved, the next step will be to review all the information that you have provided.



Should there be an item that you feel needs to be corrected, click on the edit portion and you will be able to make the necessary changes.

After making sure that all given information are correct; you will be asked to confirm the location where you will submit your application:


After which you will be asked to electronically sign your application and submit it.


There! A bit time consuming, a few clicks here and there but not really very difficult.  Next post will be paying for the application fee and getting scheduled for an interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment