Thursday, July 21, 2011

my 8-hour Cebu experience


Have a look at these boarding passes:


As someone who has worked in the airport for 1/3 of my life, I guess it is safe to say that I have encountered more than a million passenger. And whenever I come across a traveler who says they are traveling on duty; I tell them I am jealous. Who wouldn't want to be paid to travel for free? But more often than not, seasoned business travelers tell me that I shouldn't be jealous. And now I know why.
Last Tuesday, my company asked me to go to Cebu to handle a Dangerous Goods training class. A class normally takes 4 hours, or even shorter depending on the participants' willingness to participate.
So after my counter duties at terminal 3 ended at 1002h, I took a heavy brunch for I know that no meals are served for domestic flights. After my agents were shuttled to terminal 1 for their 2nd airline duties, I asked the company driver to bring me to the domestic terminal of Philippine Airlines. I reached the airport at 1115h, enough time to check in for my 1245h flight. I guess it was not a full flight because I did not have to wait to be attended to at the check - in counter. After which, I proceeded straight to the boarding gate and waited. Having been awake since 0430h, I was able to take a quick nap at the holding area before my flight boarded at 1225h.
I must admit though that I was a bit surprised at how the boarding was handled. There were only 2 agents at the boarding gate, 1 did the announcement, which really did not sound very impressive, and the other agent tore the boarding passes. Nobody was there to control the flow of passengers, so even the business class passengers had to wait in line.
T'was a cloudy day, I was seated by the aisle and slept immediately. After what seemed like 20 minutes, I woke up to meal service. A pack of peanuts, a fudgee bar and choice or coffee, tea or water. I asked for coffee and later asked for 2 glasses of water.
I arrived Cebu at 1410h, was met by a pretty Cebuana. Being the naturally chatty me, we engaged in small talk and later learned that they have been very busy for most part of the day since another boss of our company was also visiting. I was guided to the PAL admin office to meet out training manager.
His class ended at exactly 1600h, my cue to start mine. I just waited for 15 minutes to let the group settle.
I found our Cebuano agents to be quite a happy bunch. I enjoyed my little class with them as they do live up to the warm and friendly Cebuano reputation.
I finished my class a little before 2000h. Dismissed the class and went to the nearby Marina Mall with our training manager. I was not really in the mood to eat, I was glad to see a shawarwa stand in front of the supermarket. My colleague paid for it and I had my avocado shake. That is dinner and I am happy. Knowing that our manager had to rest for he still have to prepare for his class the next day, I told him to head back to his hotel room and I shall find my way back to the airport.
I was back at the terminal by 2100h. I was early but I had nowhere else to do, I've been to Cebu 3 times before and I know that there is not much I can do in 2 hours time. I decided to just do a bit of work : check the exams that I earlier gave so I can inform the manager if a retake needs to done. Luckily all agents passed.
The flight was slightly delayed, but sadly no announcement was made. It was said that boarding will start at 2150h, we did not board until 2224h.
I again slept in the cabin.a pack of peanuts was again served this time paired with a pack of sumo mini cookies. This time around I asked for a cup of tea. After sipping my tea, I went back to sleeping.
The flight arrived manila at 2340h, as instructed, the company driver met me and drove me home.
-an hour spent awaiting boarding in Manila for my flight to Cebu
-an hour spent on board
-an hour spent waiting for my class to start
-roughly 4 hours of talking
-an hour spent for dinner
-an hour and half awaiting boarding in Cebu for my flight back home
-an hour spent on board
Guess I really should not be jealous of all those business travelers.

2 comments:

  1. Depends probably on where you're going. I don't want to rub it in your face but it's hard not to. Hahaha. 6 days in Maldives staying in 5 different 5 star resorts with everything paid for - really is worth the manic schedule of visiting 15 resorts in 6 days located in different Maldivian islands. I cannot afford Maldives so the tiring days were all worth it 'coz I will never be able to go there myself. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. yoa are one lucky girl.. you need an assistant? you know my number!

    ReplyDelete