Tuesday, February 5, 2013

me and Matthew


Matthew and I have been together for more than a year now…my security blanket and dependable companion. Matthew is a pen, an inexpensive blue Pilot retractable ballpen that has been a witness to my ups and downs for the past 18 months.  I named it as such because for me, not losing a pen and using it until the very last drop of its ink is a sign of my Matthew-rity.

But have I really matured? What can be the basis and how can maturity be measured? Can I claim to be matured if I sprained my ankle while power walking in my 3-inch high stilettos instead of having it sprained while crazy-dancing in the rain? Will my newly updated wardrobe consisting of dressy corporate attire add more maturity points as compared to my previous ensemble of sporty sneakers and dri-fit shirts?  Would the recent upgrade of my taste palate from greasy easy fast food to a more sophisticated fine dining experience be tantamount to a more matured me? Should I stop singing and grooving to One Direction’s songs unless I want to be perceived as immature?

That being said, I think maturity is not to be desired as a way of life, but rather as a means to adapt to circumstances. Doesn’t matter if you baby talk, which I actually do, at least just in front of my family, you know, those people who can do nothing but accept it, as long as you know its not to be done while talking to your boss or while you’re in a client meeting. Or pout your lips or stick out your tongue while having your picture taken as long as you are not in the company of distinguished guests… or is having your photo taken for the company’s organizational chart. Doesn’t matter if you frantically wave both arms to say hi to a friend you haven’t seen for ages as long as you know that you need to shake hands firmly when meeting business partners.

Maturity, and all its vagueness. For me, I guess I would have to say maturity is knowing when you can be immature.  For now, hand me my gummy bears, red ones preferably, while I sip my grape-flavored kool-aid and check my email if there are changes in my scheduled meetings … all these before I childlike-ly kiss my mom goodnight.   

No comments:

Post a Comment